Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Do you make New Year's Resolutions?

I generally do not make New Year's Resolutions, but I did this year.  I actually made several.  A couple of these have to do with my passion for quilting.

I promised myself that I would quilt for 2 hours each day.  Now even tho I have missed a couple days, I don't feel that I have failed in keeping this promise.  I am getting more accomplished, and that was the purpose.  I have gotten one lap-size quilt finished, and have now gotten all the blocks sewn for another quilt that has been on the design wall for months.  I'm liking how this quilt is coming together, but I now have to fuss with making points line up with seams.  UGH.  I'm too much of a perfectionist in this aspect, so my progress with slow down now.

The other promise I made myself about quilting has to do with my desire to make art quilts.  I promised myself that I would make 4 art quilts this year.  I need to jump in, and get started making art quilts, not just wish I was doing so.  Part of what is holding me back is "art quilt" is such a broad spectrum.  What is it I want to do?  I love dabbling in all the various possibilities - dyeing, felting, beading, folding, creating pictures...  and the list goes on.  Recently I saw a blog about someone who does fantastic bead work on small quilts.  Somehow this just "sang to me".  "YES, something like this!" I said to myself.  As I looked around at these quilts, I saw a comment that this person had tried felting in one of his pieces.  "Aaaah!"  I do know that as an artist, you grow, try new things.  So why am I so caught up in "what am I going to do"?

"Where to start".  Yes, that may be what is holding me back.  This person was doing a quilt journal, making small quilts with a monthly theme.  OK, that makes sense to me.  But I promised 4 quilts.  Not that I can't make more.  But lets start out with something I can probably do.  AND finish!  So 4 quilts.  Maybe a seasonal theme.  I should start with "Spring".  No, I think I will start with "Winter" because at the beginning of the year, I started to design a fireplace screen to hang in front of the fireplace to cut down on the drafts.  OK, so maybe I won't have 4 quilts in a journal form.  But I will start with this first item, and see where it leads.  I think this may be FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate your friendly comments!