Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fabric Stash

I admit, I have plenty of fabric in my stash.  And this year, I'm tracking the fabric I use, and the fabric I add.  So today, I have to admit, I added 14 yards of fabric.  5 1/2 yards to make covers for the pillows in my living room, 3 1/3 yards to make some valentine table runners, 2 yards to potholders, and almost 3 to make some flannel pants for sleeping.  So watch to see what I actually get done!

Meanwhile - I have been sewing on a quilt top.  This fabric was given to participants in the local shop hop last summer.   I want to share what I have done so far...



Each block has two shades of one color, and two white corners.  Four blocks form one ring.  I'm now sewing blocks together.  The 4 columns of blocks on the left (the shorter columns) are sewn into two columns of rings.  There will be 8 columns of rings, then I start putting the columns together.  The original pattern just had 2 basic colors, and they weren't organized in the top.  As you can see, I divided all the colors we were given, and have tried to make color paths across the top.  Sewing all these blocks together has been very time consuming.  There are too many diagonal seam intersections to make sure match up.  I'm having to resort to pinning...  and I hate pinning!

Now, did you notice the stars in the pattern??  No?  Well they don't stand out very well, I wish there was more contrast between the mediums and darks.  The intersection of the color strips have 4 darks or 4 mediums coming together.  These form a star, but only a few stars stand out.  A thought for a better value differentiation next time I make this quilt.  Of course, matching those seams is difficult enough that there probably won't be a next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate your friendly comments!